Friday, June 4, 2010

NYTimes: The Besieged and the Beautiful in Languedoc

I'm particularly interested in the history of southern France, in part because of a fascination with troubadours, Eleanor of Aquitaine, castles, the Albigensian Crusade, and the area's medieval culture of arts. Anyhow, here's an article about it:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/travel/09Languedoc.html?8dpc

It is, in some ways, not surprising at all, that these old castles and grand landscapes were once the site of so much bloodshed. It is often the most beautiful places that have the darkest stories. After all, castles were originally built as fortresses, their imposing facades and crenellated towers meant to defend their inhabitants against besieging foes.

I'd dearly love to see the place at some point in my life. Anyone want to road-trip around southern France? (My high school French is rusty, but still serviceable, last I checked.)

Oh, and the lede line is brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment