Saturday, June 5, 2010

MSNBC: Head Bonk Causes Foreign Accent

An odd but very interesting phenomenon:

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/05/28/4383989-what-iz-zees-head-bonk-causes-foreign-accent?GT1=43001

I've been told by friends (mostly college friends, who have seen me awake at ungodly hours of night/dawn) that I sometimes develop a slightly British accent when I'm very tired. I've never really noticed, myself, but then, a lot of people don't really hear their own accents.

I've always hypothesized that it's due to overcompensation for fatigue. That is, because people tend to mumble or slur their speech when they're very tired, I've subconsciously attempted to compensate for that tendency by enunciating much more clearly when I'm tired, and Americans, or people not well-acquainted with British accents, think it sounds British. (That and the rather antiquated usage of English; I've been told by a friend, who is very well-versed in accents and phonology, that my speech tends to be much more precise than the average American's -- probably a holdover from the way I learned English essentially as a second language -- which everyone thinks sounds British.) But this article brings up a different possible cause: head trauma.

I have a scar running almost vertically down my forehead; the bone underneath is still dented from the impact. It's from a long time ago (I was six years old when the accident happened). My father always jests that I must have become stranger, or more intelligent, as a direct result of the injury. Would that have brought about my sometimes-almost-accent? Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment